Deadhaus Sonata Forum

What is your favorite Legacy of Kain game?

Golden Xan

What is your favorite Legacy of Kain game?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Legacy of Kain game?

• Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    • Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
    • Legacy of Kain: Defiance

I'm really surprised that less people say Soul Reaver 2. The PS2 technology massively helped it, even though Blood Omen and Soul Reaver set the raw groundwork. No loading times, lack of block puzzles and great graphics (although BO and SR1 are easily some of the best looking games of the PS1) really helped it be more fun to play. Also seeing Raziel get pissed at Ariel, the Elder God and Moebius for stringing him along compared to his more calm self in SR1 where he trusted the Elder God's every word was an interesting development. It also really opened up the story from SR1 where Kain's machinations are mostly unknown... oh yeah, and way more Kain than SR1. I think it has the best "chunk" of story to boot (because it's impossible to separate any of the game's narrative from another IMO) but I'm too tired to explain lol

Also it has a lot of really memorable quotes. Except for the obvious ones like the Pillars scene, Raziel threatening to eat Moebius soul and lifting his cowl was cool. Because the cowl makes it look like he has a chin I keep almost forgetting he has no jaw

My second favourite is probably Blood Omen. My biggest problem with SR1 (SR2 and Defiance have this to a much, much smaller extent. Strangely in BO2 it feels like there were a lot more people, maybe because human civilisation is still prominent) is that you have giant stretches with no dialogue, whereas in Blood Omen it feels like Kain is always talking. Some of the other characters (like Azimuth and Elvizir) weren't the best though, but they have like 2 lines of dialogue each so it's not a dealbreaker at all. The 1996 bitcrushed audio is also really charming... P.S. the best Circle Guardian except for the obvious Moebius and Mortanius is queen DeJoule

Edited by Vathek
  • Like 1

I only have a least favorite (blood omen 2).

The rest are all major achievements of their time and still represent some of the best storytelling in the medium to date.

That said, I think judging graphics and mechanics based on modern standards is a bad idea, but in that respect I think they were all ahead of their time except for blood omen 2.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If it got down to brass tacks, I'd say that Blood Omen 2 is my favorite by virtue of it being my introduction to the Legacy of Kain. I wasn't too much a fan of the steampunk, nor of the hylden (especially after I played all of the other games) but I really dig this young, not quite fledgling's take on unlife. In Blood Omen 2, Kain is in every way that matters much like Marvel's Namor: Self assured, arrogant, and filled with an impassible willpower to boot.

[spoiler="ZcP2aGn.jpg"]

Kain evolves from this mindset over the source of the games, but it was just something I appreciated. Even when he's defeated (or about to be, at least) he still refuses to give up to the point that Umag forcefully teleports him away from the Hylden Lord. I can understand why it doesn't appeal to everyone, but I guess it was what I wanted to see when the game came out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I have to say Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain. The main reason was it came out on my Birthday back in the day. I have always had an interest in RPGs and myths about Vampires and the undead. So this this game was just perfect. The story line was amazing, the graphics were good despite there being only a few FMVs. I also enjoyed listening to the music which played along on my journey in Nosgoth. Little did I know that back then this would inspire me so much to write my own fiction. Also that I would following the Kain's story and beyond.
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

My favorite is Blood Omen 2 which I know is unpopular but I played it as a kid which made me love it. Soul Reaver 2 was actually my first LoK game, I traded my skateboard for it (damn good trade). I loved Soul Reaver 2 of course but I found myself watching the trailer for blood omen 2 which was included on the disc over and over and obsessively wanting to play it.

Every time I went to my local gamestop I would dig through the giant metal cage bins of used ps2 games they had sitting in the middle of the store. I searched every game in those bins every time but could never find Blood Omen 2. Until one day I went there and actually found 1 copy of it. I was so excited, but there was a dilemma. The game was rated M and I had no parent with me. I stood there feeling a nervous panic thinking of what I should do, either hide the game at the bottom of the bin and come back at some unknown later date with my parent or try to buy it now. And the main worry of course was that someone else would find it and buy it before I could get my mom or dad in there.

I decided to try to buy it. Took it to the register and handed it to the cashier with wide eyes and just prayed he would let me buy it. And to my elation the cashier went through with ringing it up. I remember he said "This game is awesome" or something to that effect and surely he could tell how badly I wanted it.

I remember I loved playing it but the whole searching for it and finding it made me treasure it even more. Pure childhood wonder.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Blood Omen was by far my favorite.

I've always felt like we've missed the true story. Soul Reaver and all after took the game in such a different direction than the story that was built around Blood Omen. While not bad stories, I've always wondered what it would be like to see the true vision Denis had for Nosgoth.